Pediatric dentistry is the branch of dentistry that promotes the dental health of children as well as serve as educational resources for parents.It helps This is because early oral examination aids in the detection of the early stages of tooth decay. Early detection is essential to maintain oral health, modify aberrant habits, and treat as needed and as simply as possible. Additionally, parents are given a program of preventative home care (brushing/flossing/fluorides), a caries risk assessment, information on finger, thumb, and pacifier habits, advice on preventing injuries to the mouth and teeth of children, diet counseling , and information on growth and development.
It also helps in
1. Diagnosing oral diseases.
2. Promoting oral health for children and adolescents(healthy, sick or those with disabilities)
3. Formulating treatment plans to maintain or restore oral health of pediatric patients.
4. Interpreting x-rays and diagnostic tests for correction.
5. Monitoring growth and development of the teeth and jaws.
6. Correcting malocclusion through interceptive orthodontic treatment.
7. Surgical procedures on the teeth, bone and soft tissues of the oral cavity.
8. Repairing dental caries and treating odontogenic infection.
9. Managing dental trauma, including fractured, displaced, and knock-out teeth.
10.Treating pediatric patient under various stages of sedation(minimal, moderate, or deep).
11.Coordinating with pediatricians and other medical specialists to promote children health.
The most common conditions are:
1. Dental caries, which if not restored can lead to pulp involvement.
2.Rampant caries or nursing bottle caries, which is common in infants who drink milk from bottles. Due to the habit, the milk forms a sticky layer on the teeth which leads to plaque and dental caries. This generally affects most of the teeth in the dentition leading to brownish areas of discoloration or caries.
3. Early carious lesions or areas of demineralization can be treated with remineralizing agents such as Novamin or ACP-CPP containing agents (Recaldent)eg: GC Tooth mousse, etc. This helps to remineralise the whitish areas prevent further caries.
1.Fluoride application(Preventive dentistry)
2. Oral prophylaxis involves thorough scaling (cleaning) of teeth and gums to remove existing plaque, calculus, etc. and polishing of teeth.
3.Space maintainers: Generally if a deciduous tooth is lost early, it is important to preserve that space for the erupting permanent tooth; if not there may be malalignment of the teeth. Certain devices called space maintainers are given to preserve this space for the erupting permanent tooth.
4.Habit breaking appliances for habits like tongue thrusting, mouth breathing, night grinding,etc.
5.Full crowns: Metal crowns given following root canal therapy or even prophylactically to cover a tooth with high caries index or other caries susceptible areas.
6.Restorations/fillings: Glass Ionomer Cement restoration is most commonly done.